Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We have finally entered the 21st century in Korea....


Yes, we finally got cell phones! I also should mention that today is exactly ONE MONTH since we first arrived in Korea. And it went by so quick! So yesterday we took the subway to the Seoul Global Center before work. Some of my coworkers recommended it as a great place for foreigners to get cell phones. The SGC provides services and information for tourists and foreign residents, so they speak English there. Perfect! So we spoke to this girl who was an LG Telecom representative at SGC. She set us up with these sweet phones that cost under $10 each and our monthly plan is only around $10-$15 a month, depending on our use. My phone is pink (who would've guessed), and I bought this cute Hello Kitty charm to hang on it. Phone charms are HUGE here.
If you check my Picasa page, you we see that I also hung photos and maps on our apartment wall. I searched high and low to find anything that resembles Funtac in Korea, and I finally spotted some on Monday. We have a big map of Seoul, a map of Korea, and a map of Goyang City on our wall. So anytime we want to travel someplace we can look at the map beforehand and pick a place to go. There are so many places we want to see in Seoul and Korea, so every weekend we are going to try to travel. This Sunday, we might so see an F.C. Seoul professional soccer game at World Cup Stadium. Like the baseball games, tickets are really cheap (around $10).
I mentioned galbi the other day, and we have slowly been trying more and more Korean food. On Monday night, we had galbi again at our new favorite place. We ordered the same as last time, except we also order man-du (steamed dumplings filled with green onions, minced pork, vermicelli noodles, and spices). Everything was so fresh and delicious. Last night I had bibimbap, which is steamed white rice with vegetables and red chili sauce. Danny had shrimp fried rice. Both plates came with side dishes, all for under $5 each! Yesterday I also bought grapes before work. The red grapes in Korea are nothing like the ones in America. They taste similar to Concord grapes, and they are huge and juicy. I looked them up on the internet and apparently they are called Kyoho grapes and originally come from Japan. For $4, I got 3 huge bunches from a fruit-stand on the street near my school. Another fruit I am currently obsessed with is Asian pears. They are similar to the pears in America, except they are huge and round. They are more crunchy, and are a cross between a pear and an apple. I'm off to work now, so anyung!

No comments:

Post a Comment