Sunday, January 31, 2010

A quick update...


Danny and I can finally relax now that intensives are over, so we decided to start learning Italian. Danny made us an entire weekly schedule, which includes reading, listening, writing, and speaking. It seems as though he modeled it after his school's language learning program, and he even included the acting activity that his elementary students do each week! I've been studying vocab words on my new iPod touch on my commute to work too. It's about time I learn Italian, so hopefully we will stick to our plan. Danny and I also started doing one of the yoga DVD's that I brought with me to Korea. I regularly use my pilates DVDs, but I've never really done yoga. It's really relaxing, and I feel great after. It's funny watching Danny try to do the poses, because he's almost too big and inflexible for some.
On Friday Danny and I had Thai food in Ilsan with his coworkers. Chungdahm schools are having a bowling competition for English teachers next weekend, so we decided to practice after our dinner. Danny's school is entering a team into the competition, and I think my school might be getting together one too. Although pool halls, movie theaters, and karaoke rooms are abundant in Korea, bowling alleys are hard to come by. We actually found one only 10 minutes from our home. It only had about a dozen lanes and looked like it hadn't been renovated in 15 years, but it was adequate. Luckily I could wear a men's size bowling shoe, but Danny's size-13 coworker wasn't so lucky. I only bowled an 89 (which is high for me), but I was getting lots of strikes and spares, so I considered it a good night. Afterwards we went to a dance club in Ilsan where it was "hip-hop night." It was fun, but rap music isn't my favorite to dance to.
On Sunday we visited the Seodaemun Prison History Hall in Seoul. Japan controlled Korea for much of the early to mid-twentieth century, and many patriots and protestors were imprisoned during that period. The prison was located in "Independence Park," which celebrated Korean independence from Japanese rule. The museum wasn't very exciting, but it featured some crazy life-size figures performing acts of torture. It only cost about $1, so it was worth the walk around the museum and park though. After that we went to an Indian/Nepalese restaurant called Everest in Dongdaemun. It was the 5th Indian restaurant we've tried in Korea, but the best one is still Mother India, which is luckily only a 5 minute walk from our apartment.
I am currently administering a 3-hour exam to my students, and after fighting with my coworkers over the copy machine to make a million copies of the test this morning, then stapling all of those tests, I am exhausted. I will leave you with a new Kpop song that I constantly have stuck in my head....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB6eTIFjdkE

No comments:

Post a Comment