Saturday, November 7, 2009
It's been awhile!...
So I just realized I haven't posted in like 3 weeks. That's because not much has happened since our eventful field trip with Danny's school! The weekend after that Danny and I both got really sick. I thought I had the flu, but it was just a really bad cold. We went to a doctor that's in the same building as Danny's school, and the doctor actually spoke English. I was really impressed with the office, because it was so modern compared to doctor's offices back home. The doctor used some weird probe to view the inside of my nose on a big screen and they gave me medicine for my cough using this respirator machine. I don't have health insurance yet, but even without insurance the visit only cost me about $10. I had to pick up a prescription, which cost me only another $5. I will try to get health insurance, but I have to wait until my 3rd month here since I'm a foreigner. Most of the country has health insurance coverage through the government, so that's why it's so cheap. And most people seem to be pretty satisfied with it too. Let's see what else has happened in the past 3 weeks....Last Friday my school had a dinner to welcome me and another new teacher and to celebrate the departure of one of our other teachers. We all went out for galbi (Korean barbecue) after work. When Koreans go out together, they tend to drink alot, especially when there's something to celebrate. So naturally I had to be polite and accept toast after toast of soju liquor. Well let's just say I had a little too much to drink that night. I called up Danny to meet me and some of my coworkers at a bar in Hongdae after my company dinner. I didn't feel well from all the drinking and galbi, so my night was cut short. The next day Danny and I went to see another FC Seoul soccer game at World Cup Stadium. It was their last home game, and they tied. It was a good game to watch though. Every day before that soccer game had been unusually warm, but we were freezing for the first time at the game. The next two days after were so miserably cold. It went from being in the 60's/70's to 30's in one day. After only 3 cold days, it went back to 60's/70's. Since today was supposed to be 70 degrees and the last weekend with autumn leaves still on the trees, Danny and I were going to hike Mt. Bukhansan (the highest peak in Seoul) with his friend from work. Unfortunately Danny felt sick again today, so we rested instead. But it rained anyway so I guess we lucked out. I guess we will have to wait for spring time when the cherry blossoms bloom....that's another popular time to hike. Hiking is ridiculously popular here. On any given day you will see senior citizens decked out in hardcore hiking gear on the subway to their favorite mountain. Apparently some of the hiking trails are pretty treacherous, so I'm amazed at the shape some of these older people must be in to hike. Danny and I were going to try a hike of about 10km to a peak of 800+m. It's supposed to be the most popular because there are lots of historical landmarks and buddhist temples along the trail. Tomorrow is raining again, so while Danny is getting better I guess we will be relaxing again. Oh I completely forgot to mention teaching....this past week I had to administer "Level-Up" tests to my students. The poor kids had to take 2+ hour tests to determine which level they will be placed in next term. I guess I felt bad because I couldn't even sit through 3 hours Regents exams or SATS in high school. Anyway we finished week 10 of the term and there are only 3 weeks left for the Fall Term! There are 4 terms at CDI, and each term is 13 weeks. Alright I'm going to bed now...I will leave you with a funny YouTube video that gives you an idea of what a Korean apartment is like for an English teacher...Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment